A common user facility with public authority status equipped with fixed installation & offering services for handling & temporary storage of Import/Export cargo & empty containers carried under customs supervision & with customs & other authorities competent to clear goods for home consumption, warehousing, temporary admission, re-export, temporary storage for onward transit & outright export.
- Transshipment of cargo can also take place from such station
- ICD means Inland container depot situated at inland points away from the sea port.
- ICD is formed to help importer/exporter to handle their shipments near their place of location.
- If the sea port is away from the place of importer & exporter, ICD helps them to save time & money in the procedures & formalities.
- In ICD/CFS, a combination of services of sea custodian, customs dept., carriers, freight forwarders, customs broker etc. are carried out to facilitate exporters & importers for smooth handling of cargo
Difference between ICD & CFS
- An ICD is generally located in the interiors (outside the port town) of the country away from the servicing point.
- CFS, on the other hand, is an off dock facility located near the servicing port, which helps in decongesting the port by shifting cargo & customs related activities outside the port area.
Functions of ICD / CFS:
Both ICD/CFS handles only containerized cargo, thus special facilities are provided like:
- Sheds for temporary storage of cargo
- Container yard for temporary storage of containers
- Receipt & dispatch/delivery of cargo
- Stuffing & stripping of cargo
- Transit operations by rail/road to and from serving point (Transhipments)
- Customs clearance facility
- Consolidation & desegregation of cargo
- Temporary storage of cargo & containers
- Maintenance & repairs of the container.
Benefits of ICD/CFS:
- It brings shipping services at the doorsteps of shippers across the nation
- Assist in decongesting the seaport
- More user-friendly
- Reduce overall cost of transit cargo
- Reduce demurrage & avoids pilferage (theft)
- All port provides rail link to ICD’s thus quick to & fro transportations
- Lowers the transportation cost
- Reduce inventory cost
- Issuance of “Through B/L” by shipping lines thereby full liability of shipments
- These are operated upon by private & public authorities, thus every user gets quality service at most competitive rates.